March 7, 2016
California County History
Here's an interesting interactive map that displays the history of county lines in California. I only know the southern counties well, so that's what I paid attention to.
- 1850 - San Diego County was HUGE!
- 1851 - Los Angeles and Mariposa Counties get big chunks of San Diego County.
- 1852 - Tulare County carved out of Mariposa County.
- 1853 - San Bernardino County carved out of Los Angeles County.
- 1866 - Kern County created from pieces of Los Angeles and Tulare Counties. Inyo County is carved out of Tulare County.
- 1872 - Ventura County carved out of Santa Barbara County. Boundaries adjusted between San Bernardino, Inyo, Kern, Tulare, San Luis Obispo and Monterey Counties to give us that nice straight line running from the Pacific to Nevada. Is that the defining line between northern and southern California?
- 1889 - Orange County carved out of Los Angeles County.
- 1893 - Chunks of San Bernardino and San Diego Counties taken to create Riverside County.
- 1907 - Imperial County carved out of San Diego County.