September 3, 2015
Burning Man 2011
"5) Radical Self-expression: Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient."
September 2, 2015
Burning Man 2010
"4) Radical Self-reliance: Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise, and rely on his or her inner resources."
September 1, 2015
Burning Man 2009
"3) Decommodification: In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience."
August 31, 2015
Burning Man 2008
"2) Gifting: Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift-giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value."
August 30, 2015
Burning Man 2007
If you are seeing this, then the gates have opened for 2015 Burning Man.
First of Burning Man's Ten Principles: "1) Radical Inclusion: Anyone may be a part of Buring Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community."
August 27, 2015
Burning Man Livestream?
This may be where you'll find livestreaming of Burning Man, if it works. I've got no other leads, and I'll soon be on the playa where I can't give you any more ideas. But there's always Google. Oh, except they're going to be on the playa too.
Vamos A La Playa
Scott Matas For Mayor
Scott's been playing a nice, polite, low-key campaign so far; so I was glad to get a campaign email from him that shows he plans to campaign on a realistic level. So glad, I'm just going to copy that email here:
Now is the time for the Desert Hot Springs residents to understand the difference between Council Member Scott Matas and Mayor Adam Sanchez. Scott Matas has a strong plan of action to lead Desert Hot Springs back to recovery from the last several years of financial difficulty.
Scott's five (5) point plan includes:
- New Jobs & Strengthening Our Economy.
- Enhancing Our Public Safety
- Balancing Our Budget
- Supporting Programs for Our Youth & Seniors
- Improving Our Quality of Life
Scott Matas is a man of integrity and honesty who will have an open door policy with all residents of this community.
Adam Sanchez's plan "Keep Moving Forward."
- No Economic Plan
- No Public Safety Plan
- No plan to increase income to the city
- Plans to attend every "PHOTO OP" possible
Mayor Sanchez has a history of failure and unethical behavior since he came to Desert Hot Springs:
- Terminated from every job he has had since he moved to Desert Hot Springs. FAILURE
- As Mayor negotiated and accepted a $10,000.00 to $100,000.00 job with the first Medical Marijuana Company to receive a license, after making several votes to legalize Medical Marijuana sales in Desert Hot Springs. UNETHICAL
- Ran for Mission Springs Water District – Not Elected (4th out of 5 candidates) FAILURE
- Ran for City Council in 2005 – Not Elected FAILURE
- Ran for City Council Special Election in 2007 – Not Elected FAILURE
- Ran for Mayor 2007 – Not Elected FAILURE
- Elected to the City Council in 2011 and failed to accomplish one campaign promise. FAILURE
- Elected Mayor in 2013 (by 13 votes) [Was it 13? I thought it was 12. Maybe Scott is just being generous - Ron]
As Mayor Adam Sanchez has FAILED:
- To balance the 2014/2015 Budget - (June 24, 2014 City Council Meeting)
- To balance the 2015/2016 Budget – (June 16, 2015 City Council Meeting)
- To have a Cash Reserve in 2014/2015 Budget - (June 24, 2014 City Council Meeting)
- To have a Cash Reserve in 2015/2016 Budget – (June 16, 2015 City Council Meeting)
- To establish any Economic Growth
- To increase income to the city. (Two tax initiatives failed)
- To develop any new retail business (except Medical Marijuana Shops.)
- To reduce Crime
- To show respect for fellow Council Members
Don't let PHOTO-OPS fool you into believing Adam Sanchez has accomplished anything except take credit for other people's hard work!!
WE DON'T NEED TWO MORE YEARS OF FAILED LEADERSHIP IN DESERT HOT SPRINGS.
CALL OR EMAIL SCOTT MATAS
Ph: 760-200-7428 ♦ Em: email@example.com
CALL OR EMAIL DAVE NUNN – CAMPAIGN CHAIR
Ph: 760-671-6904 ♦ Em: firstname.lastname@example.org
Let us know how you can help. We can use people to deliver flyers to homes and businesses, make telephone calls, assemble material, put signs in your yard or property, have a meet & greet, and register non-voters.
LET'S MAKE DESERT HOT SPRINGS THE COMMUNITY WE CAN ALL BE PROUD OF
VOTE SCOTT MATAS AS OUR NEXT MAYOR.
If I were going to quibble, I might point out that Sanchez has improved his own personal economy by getting that job he has. So at least one person's position has improved in the last two years.
Sanchez, in his billboard campaign, does a thing that I think is a problem with DHS thinking — maybe it goes on everywhere, but I never became aware of it until I moved here. And that is assigning complete responsibility for some failure or some success on one individual alone. He is claiming it was he alone who got the city budget to the barely survivable point where it is now. Funny, I thought I saw four other members of the City Council on the dais discussing and voting on it. I suspect there are some ingenious people on city staff that brought forward cost-cutting suggestions.
But the most obvious involuntary assistance in getting the budget in line came from the employees of the city, especially the police. Even with sudden, gigantic pay cuts there was no strike, no slowdown, no sudden mass resignation. Of course, over the months most employees have left; and many of the best left first, as that is the nature of things, leaving behind the very loyal.
Sanchez should find it difficult to campaign on public safety issues. If he is the only one who saved the city budget, then he is the only one who cut police pay, and he is the only one responsible for our now weakened police force.
You know the best way to start improving public safety? Propose a public safety tax the voters will approve, get it passed, restore full pay and benefits to the police, hire more police.